25/02/2009

words, blobs, birthday and other important things today...sanoja, synttärit ja muita tärkeitä päivän juttuja...

as you know English is not my mother tong…hm...
that’s why I have a dictionary on the table – I'll try to check all the new words,
really learn them, remember…
ooh, but grammar, I will never ever understand or learn the grammar, whatever the language!
I love reading, writing, words...
I try to learn...I really try...

I get a newsletter from
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/

Latest article is

The Difference Between “While” and “Whilst”
A reader asks:

“what is the difference between while and whilst?”

Both while and whilst have been in the language for a very long time.
While was in use in Old English; whilst is a Middle English development of while.
As conjunctions they are interchangeable in meaning, but whilst has not survived in standard American English.

I waited whilst Mugabe delivered what he thought were his pearls of wisdom…

I waited while breakfast was finished.
Did you know that? Read the whole article here

Words.

Latest funny one, in my mouth/mind, is ‘blob’... Mytho asked me to say
blob blog” 3 x in the row, I can’t – can you? try! Easy? :-)

if you want to see s-c-a-r-y movie trailer from 1958 ‘The Blob’ go to Mythopolis’s blog






Happy birthday ‘baby’!
He’s living now in China, Beijing... Ni hao!
Firstborn brother is celebrating with you –
have a great time together!

Onnea Kiinaan, Beijingiin,
nuorimmalle pojallemme,
joka nykyisessä kotikaupungissaan viettää tänään synttäreitään!
Isoveli on turistina paikalla - hauskaa iltaa teille!

7 comments:

  1. Interesting blog! I never liked the word "whilst"...In the Southern states here, "while" is pronounced more like "wail" as in "Wail, I reckon its agonna rain." Your English is much better than you might think. : ) However regarding "mother tong" I think tongue is the word you are looking for.

    As per blob blog 3X , once you have mastered that you can work on "rubber baby buggy bumper"...3X please...faster! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blob - ah birthday....to your brother :D

    Nope, I couldn't say blob blog 3 times in a row, I can barely write it.

    And I hate grammar, no matter the language :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I am officially starting to despise blogger and google :(
    I tried to leave a comment and I had to reload the page so many times with error messages that my original message is gone now :(
    My email's on strike again too.Mpf...

    OK, let me try to get together what I originally wrote:

    Happy birthday to your dear brother :)!!

    And nope, I could not say Blob blog three times, I can barely write it ;)

    And I don't like grammar, no matter what language :)

    Cheers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mytho; hahah 'tong' typical for me - i write like i say the word..pls correct if you see similar mistakes in the future! Thanks!

    Nicole; blob, blob... I don't have a brother!
    It was my 'baby's' birthday and HIS brother is visiting now in China....blob, blob...

    I've had problems with connection, with explorer, with mouse and blob, letters...i can write Ö and Ä but i have to change ctrl+1 or 2 and argh! i'm just too lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mytho; no rubber babies... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday brother! English language is tough. There are grammar rules and then lots of exceptions.

    Love the photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scriber; got you! You didn't read the other comments - I don't have a brother...
    or is it my English???

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

PostRank Topblogs 2009 - #1 in Expats PostRank Topblogs 2009 - Engagement Award PostRank Topblogs 2009 - Shaker Award
 
Web Statistics Creative Commons License
This work by BLOGitse is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 1.0 Finland License.