“In the early decades of the 1800s, theatre troupes from Sweden, Estonia and Russia and also from Italy and Germany visited Helsinki. But this changed when Nikolai Adlerberg became the Governor General of Finland and established a Russian Theatre with a grant he organised from the Tsar’s funds.
Construction began in April 1876 and was completed in 1879. Originally the Alexander Theatre was to serve the local Russian garrison. The bricks for the decorative building were transported all the way from Åland. The National Theatre and Opera companies moved to the building in 1918 and the National Opera remained on the premises until 1993, when they moved to the new Opera House on the Toolo bay. For this reason, Alexander Theatre, the Old Opera House, is an important part of Finnish cultural history.”