18/01/2010

This is pure sh*****

I know what you were thinking...
But you're wrong, sorry.

As we all know blogging is social media just like FB, Twitter etc.

This post is pure SHARING!
Sharing is the main issue in social media. You give and you get. It's interaction.
More and more bloggers and companies are marketing or selling stuff.
Lots of bloggers have giveaways to get more traffic, audience - and perhaps they want to sell something too.
I'm not selling anything. This is PURE sharing!

I want to introduce to you VIKKI. Vikki who? Vikki is an ARTIST.
Is this badget familiar?

He's Wink!

The story behind Wink:
"My name is ‘Wink‘. I tell bloggers, “Although we dearly appreciate this fine tribute and are SO flattered by the recognition, we don’t participate in those stinkin’ blog awards.”

Vikki writes on her blog: 
"Originally I created this little sun logo for CBS Sunday Morning Television- but, he’s definitely taken on a life and purpose of his own. According to my visitor tracking, EVERDAY (since Sept. of 2008!) people come to my blog to get Wink. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would cause such a stir."

If you have downloaded Vikki's creation without saying a word to her, please leave her a comment! It's polite to thank, right?! 
Read more about VIKKI's creation here.

Vikki North's blog: the Red Chair Gallery 

 * * * * * * *


This fabulous lady blogger is from different world!
She's a good writer and she knows what she wants!


Look at her avatar - you will never forget it! That's why it's GREAT!
Avatar is a very important visual effect in social media.
If your avatar is unique people remember it and you!

Visit this fab bitch's blog but DO NOT mess with her
leaving a message like: 'Nice!'
She wants more! So let's give her more than one word, right?!


* * * * * * *

You all know that I'm Finnish, (where the hell is Finland? here!) living at the moment in Cairo, Egypt, as expat. Or didn't you know that? :)

May I introduce you two Finnish ladies, ARTISTS!
ELEGIA currently calling from London and ITKUPILLI surfing in LA,
share the obsession for collages and now they want to share that obsession with you!

"Every Monday we will post a new theme; a word and a picture.
You can use either one or both. Share your creation with us by leaving a comment with link to your artwork.
You can use any kind of style or materials. There is no limits, let your creativity flow!"




Their first challenge is out and

here's one example what you can create - beautiful!
(if you know how to, I don't!)



ELEGIA started her own shop...I like this badge!


 I got permission to use all these badges from their owners!


Do you like art (any kind of art)?
If you know any artist blogs leave their blog address in your comment - 
I'd like to visit them! 
But please, don't try to market or sell anything. I'll check all the links before I publish them...


ps. If you download MY photographs please tell me!
People are still doing it and don't say a word - don't you have any manners?
Thank you! would be nice...

23 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post.




    Just kidding, I know you are looking for a more meaningful comment.

    What I liked about this post was that you pointed out that blogging has started to become more about business than about comminuty. I have only a few readers. Right now feedburner tells me I have 6 subscribers - 6? Really? I thought I was a bit more popular that that. I have struggled with decisions about how to increase that number - giveaways are so tempting, because they generate interest - but I think I would rather have 6 readers who comment regularly, than 600 visitors who comment once.

    Also, thanks for the heads up on the Collage project thing. I'm definitely going to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ERIN
    YES! Oh yes!
    You made my day!
    I have far more readers than followers or RSS subscribers - but less comments!!!!!!!
    When you can read the posts from Google Reader many of us are too lazy/busy etc. to go the actual blog posting and leave a comment!
    It's a funny feeling.
    I know from my stats that people read = length of stay (or do they just stare the screen?), download my photos but they don't say a word.
    Why?

    Giveaways. Don't we have everything we need?
    Why do we want more and more stuff we don't use or need?

    All the bloggers are not living in USA.
    I noticed that some bloggers aim all their postings only for US audience.

    Where are the 'world bloggers'? Those who are interested about life around the globe or at least outside US?
    Where are those who want to mix with different kind of people what they mix in daily life?

    I have more questions. Later.

    Thank you for your brilliant comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the *idea* of giveaways - I give random presents (or at least cake!) to friends from time to time, and it seems to be the blog equivalent. But international postage is expensive and takes forever.

    By the way, although I saw your photos from Egypt, I actually hadn't realised that you were living there full-time! Hope you're enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU SO MUCH BLOGITSE! I'm most honored that you included 'Wink'.
    Vikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for promoting our new Challenge blog and also my shop, BLOGitse! I really appreciate that.

    And then I want to share my thoughts about commenting etc.

    I don’t exactly understand when people are crying “nobody comment my blog, snif”. Well, maybe you should take a look at the mirror.
    Many people seem to think, that when they start blogging they should automatically receive comments. Weird, I’d say.

    When I started blogging about four years ago I didn’t get any comments for months. It took about a year before I started getting more comments than few in a month.

    The pattern is very clear: Make comment and you get comment. Some people just keep posting stuff day after day to their blogs and investigate their statistic instead of visiting others blogs. Too many people are only interested in their own blog and want everybody visiting and commenting in it.

    My Finnish blog is very vital. It’s not vital because I give freebies – because I don’t . I think it’s because I also visit a lot others blogs and make comments too.

    But – there’s always one but – I don’t comment if don’t have anything to say. Sometimes I just enjoy reading. It doesn’t mean that the post was boring etc.

    So if you are crying, cause no one comments on your blog, start visiting others blog! And maybe you should really read the text and perhaps comment something with thought: Those “nice posting” etc. comments don’t really seduce people to come over your blog,

    I think. You know, you can have a conversation in someone else’s blog too – not only in your own!

    I love art and I love doing things in PhotoShop.I also love watching other people’s art work. I love making backgrounds. I don’t make them because I hope to receive comments – I make them, because it’s fun.

    I love every response I get, but that’s not the point. If it was, I wouldn’t be making them anymore.

    Who is aiming his/hers postings only for US audience? And how you have figured this out?
    Why is it so bad about sharing or/and selling stuff in internet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for linking my collage. What an honor!

    Just starting a blog I don't really know what to expect regarding comments. I see the purpose of my blog to share my love of art, photography, and things altered/repurposed. I hope to find a community of friends with an appreciation for the beauty of all forms of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just "popped" here quickly...
    As usually, I enjoyed!
    I come back later:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will have to check those blogs out, they sound quite intriguing.

    Weather is a lot better down here again.
    Yesterday most def. was an 'interesting' experience....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Taivutan nyt kuitenkin suomen kielellä tämän, ei kai haittaa?
    Tuoreena bloggaajana olen em. juttuja kovasti miettinyt. Ensin sivuni perustaessani ajattelin, että no, laitanpa tänne kuvia ja voin myöhemmin käydä muistelemassa menneitä ja katsella, millaista oli silloin ja silloin.
    Sitten aloin pyöriä aika lailla eri blogeissa ja tajusin, miten paljon kaikkea hienoa on esillä ihmisillä. Kuvia, ajatuksia, mitä vain..ja jäin koukkuun.
    Parasta tässä hommassa onkin juuri antaa ja saada ja monen monet hauskat hetket olen viettänyt kommenttiloodassa....eilen illalla meidän nuorin poju 15v totesi tuossa vieressäni, että: "Vanhukset ovat löytäneet netin." Niin kai sitten : )
    Aluksi kyllä mietin, että mitä teen täällä ihmisten kanssa, joita en tunne enkä tiedä niistä yhtään mitään, mutta täällä nyt olen sitten kuitenkin viihtynyt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ELEGIA part 1.
    You wrote:
    "I don’t exactly understand when people are crying “nobody comment my blog, snif”. Well,
    maybe you should take a look at the mirror.
    Many people seem to think, that when they start blogging they should automatically
    receive comments. Weird, I’d say."

    I don't know what you mean by 'nobody comment my blog, snif!'
    As I wrote:
    "I have far more readers than followers or RSS subscribers - but less comments. When you can read the posts from Google Reader many of us are too lazy/busy etc. to go the actual blog posting and leave a comment!"

    A LOT has changed in the 1,5 years I've been blogging.

    You said:
    "When I started blogging about four years ago I didn’t get any comments for months. It
    took about a year before I started getting more comments than few in a month."

    Isn't that the case for all bloggers? It takes time to get your audience.

    I wrote:
    "It's a funny feeling. I know from my stats that people read = length of stay (or do they just stare the screen?), download my photos but they don't say a word. Why?"

    You said:
    "The pattern is very clear: Make comment and you get comment."

    I'm sorry but that's not true anymore. I tell you my experience. Most of us have participated in memes so you know what the idea is - I post -> visit other participants' blogs and leave a comment. If there are 10 or 100 players the basic idea is to give and get.

    That rule has changed dramatically.
    I see many people participating in many memes at the same time which means they should spend days leaving comments to other players. But because that's impossible for most, they just take but don't give. They leave their posting and sit and wait. Some participants are very kind and they don't mind if people are not playing a fair game.

    Just before Christmas I wanted to test what happens if I leave a comment to every participants' blogs. I did. Twice.
    I left twice almost 100 comments. Result: I got back about 20%. After that I decided to leave a comment only to those who gave me a comment and regular players who I've known for a longer time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ELEGIA part 2.
    You said:
    "Some people just keep posting stuff day after day to their blogs and investigate their
    statistic instead of visiting others blogs. Too many people are only interested in their own
    blog and want everybody visiting and commenting in it."

    Excactly! That's what I've noticed, too. There's no point me trying to change other peoples' behavior or motives.

    They don't want to change. They are not interested if they are playing a fair game or not. I'm trying very hard to ignore those people. But it's hard because I try to be loyal and to have fortitude and be nice. Nice even if some people are rude. Sometimes I'm tired like all of us. Frustrated.

    I've done several 'comment test tours'. I've left dozens and dozens of comments to see how much feedback I get. The % is not very good.
    And it has nothing to do with what I say: if I leave a comment with a thought or just greetings.
    Most people "are only interested in their own blog and want everybody visiting and commenting in it" like you said.

    It's sad because there are a lot of great bloggers but if they think they are the kings/queens of the blogosphere and are behaving like that I leave.

    But like in real life: we humans want to worship each other. We want to put singers/actors etc./bloggers on a pedestal and get a little bit of that fame and glory to ourselves by worshipping them.

    You wrote:
    "My Finnish blog is very vital. It’s not vital because I give freebies – because I don’t. I think it’s because I also visit a lot others blogs and make comments too. But – there’s always one but – I don’t comment if don’t have anything to say. Sometimes I just enjoy reading. It doesn’t mean that the post was boring etc."

    Like we all. We have our moods, timelimits etc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ELEGIA part 3.
    You wrote:
    "So if you are crying, cause no one comments on your blog, start visiting others blog!
    And maybe you should really read the text and perhaps comment something with thought:
    Those “nice posting” etc. comments don’t really seduce people to come over your blog,"

    Did you mean me by "start visiting others blog"? I visit other blogs more than you can imagine! I leave dozens and dozens of comments almost each day.

    You wrote:
    "I think. You know, you can have a conversation in someone else’s blog too – not only in your own!"

    Do you mean me? You should know how active I am?! Please explain.

    You wrote:
    "I love art and I love doing things in PhotoShop. I also love watching other people’s art work. I love making backgrounds. I don’t make them because I hope to receive comments – I make them, because it’s fun.
    I love every response I get, but that’s not the point. If it was, I wouldn’t be making them anymore."

    I think most of the bloggers think like that. We do what we do because we like it but sometimes we feel unsure etc. if it's too quiet...

    You wrote:
    "Who is aiming his/hers postings only for US audience? And how you have figured this out?"

    I wrote it to Erin. But I didn't explain that well. I'm sorry about that.

    This is how I should have written it:
    For example: It's the same situation worldwide. Most of the bloggers interact with their countrymen/women. Like Finnish bloggers mainly with other Finns. Most of the Finnish postings are meant for Finnish audience.

    I miss, for example, those American bloggers who are interested about life around the globe or at least outside US - where do I find them?
    Where do I find those bloggers who are interested in getting to know all kinds of people, people who come from worlds different from their own, who have a daily life very different from their own?

    My life is not interesting. But I'm interested what OTHER people read, what they see or hear, what they've learned or could I learn something new...
    But if a bloggers' daily life is all about, for example, about family life, (too) personal diary in principle it's not my piece of cake.

    BUT I follow several mommy bloggers because they know how to write and make their stories short and funny plus they 'open' to outsiders to comment too even if my babies are not babies anymore... :)

    You wrote:
    "Why is it so bad about sharing or/and selling stuff in internet?"
    Did I say it's bad. Internet is full of stuff. I've bought a lot of stuff via internet.

    Sometimes it’s just too obvious that a blogger is just trying to bribe other bloggers.

    Selling stuff is fine – I've put your badge on my blog to support you.
    But I DO NOT sell anything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. RACHEL
    It depends how the giveaway promotion is done.
    Sometimes it's too obvious that the blogger's trying to bribe his/her guests.
    That's how I feel.

    I share cakes sometimes too but not with bloggers :)

    VIKKI
    You're welcome. See you!

    PETITE PAPERIE
    Thank you for your beautiful work.
    Have a great week of blogging!

    ARJAANNELI
    how great to see you! Thanks for popping in.
    Take care!

    NICOLE
    The storm over there was quite heavy!
    I have to come and check your new pics soon...

    TARU
    kay suomeksi vallan hyvin!
    Koukkuun jaa, tiedan! :)
    ja nauruja naurettu...
    En minakaan uskonut, etta tassa viela porskutellaan...
    Tosi kiva kun kavit,
    tapaillaan taas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Before I read all your comments you aim to me, I want to tell you that they are my thoughts in general. I didn't point them direct to you. As I told, I just wanted to share my own thoughts.

    And now I'm going to read the rest of your comments you pointed to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ELEGIA
    are we going to have a real conversation here? I'd love that! Can't wait!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, I don’t know what to write now. I just share my thoughts, not pointing you, BLOGitse.

    I have seen a lot of bloggers who’re now and then moaning, cause they don’t have (enough) comments. That is what I don’t understand. I mean very many doesn’t even bother to visit others blog and comment and then they keep moaning “I don’t get comments, snif”. That’s weird I think.

    Well, we have a different kind of experiences. I don’t do memes. I do have made them, but that’s not my thing. I don’t usually find them very interesting (expect sometimes, it depend on what kind of meme it is). But if the meme is interesting I can make a comment about it even if I didn’t make the meme. But what should comment something you’re not interested in or you don’t have anything to say?
    I don’t give a shit about statistic. I don’t care how many minutes people are staying in my blog and wonder why they don’t comment etc. There’s no force to comment. I think it’s ok just read. I don’t leave a comment on every blog I visit. I leave comments, when I have something to say.

    So what you get back only 20%? Are you now mad to those bloggers who didn’t leave you a comment even if you left a comment on their blog? Yes, it’s not fair but as you said: You can choose not to comment on theirs blogs anymore.
    Why do you make comments at all? Do you write comments, because you want comments back or are you really interested in the blogs you comment?
    I am sorry that you took my comment as a personal attack towards you, BLOGitse. That wasn’t my purpose.

    That's why I wrote:

    "And then I want to share my thoughts about commenting etc."

    ReplyDelete
  17. BLOGitse, real conversations, I love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ELEGIA
    Everything's fine!
    Let's continue...
    You said:
    "So what you get back only 20%? Are you now mad to those bloggers who didn’t leave you a comment even if you left a comment on their blog?"

    When I started memes the idea was clear and people played fair game.
    This change has happened during this 1,5 yrs.

    I'm not mad, I'm sad. And not even that any more.

    You wrote:
    "Do you write comments, because you want comments back or are you really interested in the blogs you comment?"
    Both. Like all of us. I try to be a 'good girl'.

    I try to be polite even if I see...something I don't like or the quality is really poor.
    But because it's a game I shouldn't take that too seriously! That's what I've been told.
    hui hai who cares... LOL!

    BUT. When I see something really, really good I shout and dance! and WOW, a lot! :)
    Sometimes I just say greetings so that the blogger knows that I'm still following her/him but didn't have more to say that time.

    Sometimes I look around memes I'm not in.
    Like today. Just to see what people have made...

    Silence is worse. Then you don't know what's going on...
    Sometimes I miss more action. Then it's nice to have comments. It gives energy to go on...

    Memes themselves as interaction is very thin.
    People come and go. Done.
    If I want to know people more it needs either long time or deeper interaction.

    ********
    Am I alone here?
    What do you think about memes?
    Are they fair games today?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, we're fine! :)

    But I don't think that blogging is a game. I think it's a hobby (at least it is to me). And hobbies should be fun ;))

    I don't feel comfortable of using word "fair game". There are no force to comment and I think it's ok just read. I don't expect comments when I comment others blog.

    But if the blogs keeper ignore me in her/his comment box I won't comment anymore. I think that kind of behavior is rude.

    But I do comment blogs even if they (blogs keepers) are not coming visit my blog and leave a comment. If they are nice to me in their comment box I don't see a reason why stop reading/commenting if I find the blog interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. GAME I meant => memes
    NOT blogging as a game....... :)

    I comment too even if 'they' are not coming back...But if I notice that I'm left out or treated like outsider then I don't feel comfortable.
    That has happened couple of times.

    Time for dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Blogitse! What a challenging post... Once I made statistics of the ratio between comments and visitors; it was so low that I gave up...
    But I had Followers that never dropped a comment... Let's move on...

    Thanks for your comment at my new blog Blogtrotter Two, now at the Art Deco District in South Beach! Enjoy and have a great week ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I leave comments on blogs all the time. i don't do it expecting one back. I blog because I enjoy it. Having people read what you write and make a connection with it is a bonus. I would still write if no one read my blog! And there was a time when my my in-laws and Hubs read it!

    I love art. All kinds of art. My mother encouraged us to explore the world using different kinds of mediums.

    Thank you for stopping by and sharing my SITS day with me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. TROTTER
    Good luck for Blogtrotter Two - I'll be there later today! :)

    PETERSON FAMILY
    It's great there are mothers who are not all the time in the kitchen! :)
    You can make art in the kitchen too - magic art!
    From flour, salt and water -> mix so that you can make statues or whatever you fancy -> let try and paint! Voila! Art a la Kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

PostRank Topblogs 2009 - #1 in Expats PostRank Topblogs 2009 - Engagement Award PostRank Topblogs 2009 - Shaker Award
 
Web Statistics Creative Commons License
This work by BLOGitse is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 1.0 Finland License.